Today I wanted to share with you Why I think Protein Powder is useful in your;
- Fat loss
- Muscle Building
- Sports Performance Goals....
- YES, Protein Powder cover that much when "supplementing" with "common sense"!!
- Aids in immediate Recovery to the muscles when taking directly after training! If your goal is to have less body fat then have it with H20, if your goal is more muscle mass have it with Gatorade or orange juice (carbs).
- Meal Replacement: This means, if part of your nutrition plan is to have 4-6 meals per day to help with body fat reduction, energy, recovery, stabilizing blood sugar levels etc... whey protein powder is a great SUPPLEMENTATION for 1 of your meals!!
- Proteins are organic molecules made up of amino acids – the building blocks of life!
- Our bodies need proteins and amino acids to produce important molecules in our body – like enzymes, hormones, neurotransmitters, and antibodies – without an adequate protein intake, our bodies can’t function optimally!
- Great Easy Option: This is often taken to the extreme with men and they live on Whey Protein Powders 4x or more a day and call it a balanced "meal"! Yeah right, look it's a great alternative when you are in a "jam" for time or lazy, however don't fool yourself to say it's gods answer to 6 pack abs my male friends!!
I'm not going to here, accept I'm going to say when used with "common sense" it's benefits out weigh any debate!
Okay, so how much do you need?
Again this causes more debate then it needs to! No 2 people are the same and figuring out this equation is too complicated for entry level person that is embarking on a new health and fitness journey!;
i.e. 0.8 grams per kilogram (or around 0.36 g per pound) of body mass in untrained, generally healthy adults!
I'm not saying that the above equation is "wrong", I'm simply saying that we are jumping the gun for 90% of the population trying to achieve their goals, sure these equations and statistical data to back up these claims sure make you buy into this concept by confusing you and making you think they must know because it's been "researched" & you are confused!! If you are confused, it means it too complicated and YOU WON'T adhere to it long term!!
If you are a beginner my recommendation to clients;
90kg or less 1 -1.5 scoops for a meal replacement
90kg + 1.5 - 2 scoops for meal replacement
90kg or less 1 scoop
90kg + 1 - 1.5scoops
Of course this is a guideline but it's a guide line you can do NOW with out having to study math for 3days to get the "right" protein portion that changes once you add physical activity into the equation!!!
Start with this and over time you'll play with what's right for you from actual experience rather then from an intellectual stand point!
So What Whey Protein Powder should I use?
Again, the debate of "the best"???.....blah blah blah......
According to Charles Poliquin there is 3 places you can source RAW protein powder and NZ is one of them!!! That's right, so 90% of the protein powder market purchase from us, dress it up and then sell it back to us!
General rule of thumb (but not always)!: If it's cheap it's generally got lots of cheap quality protein source powder & fillers to hide the cheap product i.e. powder is graded 1-5.
1 = animal consumption, 5 = human consumption and 3 is Animal AND Human consumption i.e Grade 3 is used in protein powders around the world because it's cheaper then 5 but still "allowed" through FDA etc....!!
I personally think Rice based Protein powder is what is BEST FOR ME (or similar to rice based) but that's because they are good on my gut and don't leave me bloated etc.... however most people aren't prepared to pay the extra cost and would rather walk around bloated and gassy.....poooo stink!
However because I "change" things up occassionally when I do go back to Whey Based Protein Powder I use Ultimate Whey (100% Export Quality Whey Concentrate), I have found this protein powder to mix well i.e. no lumps when shaking with water only and taste great i.e. no artifical sweetners!
|per 30g Serve (mixed with 350ml water)||per 30g Server (mixed with 350ml Sun Latte Milk)|
|Added Simple Sugar||NIL||NIL|
To buy Ultimate Whey and only pay $5 shipping directly to your door (NZ) then do that here;